Thursday, February 3, 2011

The difference between 20 and 26(.2)

Below is a piece I wrote for an old friend Brian (http://www.simplesoleproject.com/) just before my first marathon last fall .  I thought it would be a good post to start things off.

October 8, 2010

The difference between 20 and 26(.2)
By Andrea Abel

I am a runner.  I can’t really pinpoint what day or week or month that happened.  I had “run” a number of road races in my teen years and participated in cross country throughout the duration of my high school career.  But in college, my idea of discipline meant always making sure the keg was finished before crawling home to sleep the weekend away.  After (somehow) graduating, I moved to a large city which housed many things I found more exciting to explore than a running path, including a number of late-night diners and neighborhood festivals to check out with my graduate school classmates.   During this time, I developed a number of other unhealthy habits which only continued when I traveled through Europe as a newly minted “master.”

For awhile, the thought of running became a stress inducer instead of the stress relieving and enjoyable activity I now plan my day around.  Shortly after returning from my trip, I decided to make some significant changes in my lifestyle and spent a lot more time thinking about how I was treating my body.  I started eating right and eliminating some of the over-processed food from my diet.  What started off as short walks a few times a week with a friend quickly turned into hour-long runs through the streets of Chicago.  Although I refer to my transformation as a lifestyle change rather than just a weight loss experience, it is kind of exciting to consider that on my 26th birthday, I was at my lowest and healthiest weight since high school.  I've been in the best shape of my life for the last year and I feel great.

I think back on some of the people I have encountered in my life now with a huge level of respect.  There are a few runners I know who may not realize the impact they have had on me, but have sort of become running inspirations. I never really “got it” before but at some point, it just clicked.  I had become a runner.  I completely understood their dedication to Saturday morning runs and the commitment they had to run, even when they were tired or cold or busy. And somehow, the idea that attempting to run 26 miles could actually be fun began to creep into my head.

My grandfather passed away in February of 2010 after a long batter with colon cancer.  His illness and death served as reminders of not only my own father’s battle with cancer in 2002, but of the importance of health and fitness in my own life.  On April 8th, I signed up to run the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on October 10, 2010 and raise money for the American Cancer Society in honor of my grandfather, John Long and my father, Danny Abel.

I have been training for the last 6 months exactly.  I have spent hundreds of hours on treadmills, running hills in the 90 degree Nebraska heat, and done countless sprints and intervals. I have read Hal Higdon and numerous blogging strangers who chose to share their journey and tips on the internet.  I have completed my 18, 19, and 20 mile runs.  I’ve talked to many runners who assure me that if I could complete the 20 mile run, I should be able to finish the 26 miles.  By my calculations, though, that will still be an hour of running, which is a little scary.  I don’t know how my body will react in those last few stretches of road. I don’t know the real difference between 20 and 26(.2).  Yet.

With less than forty-eight hours before the big race, I find myself filled with a strange buzz of excitement and terror.  At this point, I have to hope that I’m ready. There are a lot of unknowns and a lot of questions I will only be able to answer in two days.  Will my legs give out from underneath me?  Will I have a surge of energy like I always used to in cross country meets?  Will I bleed in horrible places?  What if I wake up and have a stomach ache and not be able to give it my all?  What if I make it through the 20 miles only to gas out at the 26 mile mark?  Will I be able to finish?  Will I be able to finish in less than 5 hours?  Or better?

I feel like a little kid who is about to go on a vacation and can’t sleep.  Although I have no idea what to truly expect, I can’t wait to find out!

October 10, 2010

Writer’s Update: The morning of the race, I felt great.  I saw my mother, grandmother, and aunt several times along the course as well as a few other friendly faces.  I monitored my pace, but allowed the adrenaline and surge of the crowd to push me a little more than I normally would.  There was never a moment that I doubted I would finish; however at some point after I hit the wall around mile 22, I stopped worrying about how long it would take me to do so.  It wasn’t about my pace or whether I finished in four hours or five or more, if I had to.

The day, the race, and the entire experience had become something so much bigger than that.  I raised over $1500 for a charity that I whole-heartedly support.  I spent many afternoons sharing memories with old friends, family members, co-workers, and strangers alike about their own experiences with cancer and/or with running.  These moments served as non-edible Accel Gels to fuel me during the race.

My aunt met me around mile 24 to jog the last 2.2 miles with me but as we got closer, I knew my time was within striking distance of 4 hours.  I told myself I was going to run to the finish and I increased my speed.  I couldn’t believe the roar of the crowd as I rounded the corner of Roosevelt and
Michigan Avenue
and gave it my all for the last 400 meters.  It was the most amazing experience and moment of my life.

Looking back on the Andrea from my teens and early 20s, I don’t think I had the interest, discipline, or the drive to truly be a runner, let alone a marathoner.  Which I now consider myself.

I completed the race in 3:59:55.  I couldn’t be any happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment